Monday, August 29, 2016

So, I thought I would come here and do another blog - break the day up!!! 

Things Ive realised today. To really and truly have the pain under control, I need to keep the foot E.L.E.V.A.T.E.D.... not just up, but yes, TOES ABOVE NOSE. 

Of course I have known about this, but, when you are in the midst of it all, it is harder to actually be compliant - but after a few hours out yesterday, I now realise that, yes, this is really really important in the pain control. 

So how have I come to this conclusion?? Let me explain. 

One of the things Ive been stressing/worrying about this time around is medication dependency. For the past year and a half I have been taking Tramadol - at first for pain relief, yes, but then, when I tried to wean off it, the restless leg syndrome kicked in (no pun intended), and to be quite honest and frank, I ended up taking a maintenance dose knowing that I was going to be having the surgery and knowing from the last surgery that I came off the Tramadol and it was fine. Yes, I regret the day I started taking them again for the pain caused by the left foot, but I did, and lesson learnt. 

So, I insisted this time that that was it with Tramadol - no way will I ever take it ever again. What a horrible drug, and one that I think is prescribed far too freely. 

Anyway, I was put on coedine. Now I have to say Ive never had a problem with coedine before, and certainly never felt like I was dependent or needing it, but as a worrier, I know after all the warnings here in Ireland (you would not believe how difficult it is to buy any over the counter medication containing coedine here) that there is a real chance of my body becoming physically dependent on it, and believe you me, I do not want or need that in my life. In fact I really want to be free of all meds by this time next year, including blood pressure and reflux meds. 

So, as of today, I am starting  my wean down from the coedine based meds. This means keeping my foot absolutely elevated so as to not have to resort. So far today I have only taken 15mg with paracetamol (Tylenol?), so Im doing well. I will take some at bed if I really feel I need to, but I am going to do my best not to. I want to be free of the coedine tablets by the weekend, and only using them when pain is higher. Up to now I have been taking them at scheduled times to keep ahead of the pain, but now I feel is time to work them down and only use as needed (I would REALLY appreciate anyone elses opinion on this if you would be good enough to leave me a comment!!!). 

Onto the other thing that has been bothering me - I really really miss cooking. I love cooking and I know Im good at it. I mean, really good at it - now posh, restaurant quality, but good family meals, and no matter how hard they try, my family are just not quite getting it!!! I was a member of Slimming World (not hugely successful I might add, but was working at it), and love to create healthy dishes, but now that Im at the mercy of my family, I have to basically take whats given to a certain extent. Then, the boredom eating - oh my gawd, the boredom eating is awful, in that I just want to eat, constantly, and I know its because Im bored.... 

Lordy, I sound like such a whinge bag, and Im really not. Most of the time, Im a very positive, forward thinking person, but today Im fed up and another 2.5 weeks are spanning ahead of me - ugh. 

Today, here in Ireland the sun is shining, and I cant go out in it because there is nowhere for me to go to lie down with my leg elevated enough. So I am looking out my bedroom window at everyone enjoying the sun. And we are having a BBQ for dinner, and no, I have had to say I cant partake because I am afraid to have my foot down after the pain from yesterday and having to take extra meds. 

So at the end of this blog, I am going to write down 3 things Im grateful for - 

  1. I am grateful knowing that all this will pass, that I am healing and that I will have the pleasure of having 2 better feet at the end of it all. 
  2. I am grateful for those around me, who love and support me and care for me. 
  3. I am grateful to be able to look out my window and see glorious sunshine!!! 
Til the next time, over and out. Oh and here is me writing this piece, and showing said elevation!!!! 

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Its helping me though mine. Although i just had my posterior tibial cleaned up and reattached to bone, then put a netting to keep it in place. Just got stitches out yesterday and boy did i scream and cry like a baby literally! Did your stiches hurt coming out? Im on day 19 no weight bearing and meds im down to one Norco at bedtime. And 1 anti-inflammatory ba day. Wose part is the SITTING! Ugh my back and neck hurt! 2 more weeks till next dr visit seems like an eternity from now! Happy healing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stefanie,
      Thanks for your comment. OUchy to the stitches! I must have dissolving stitches because I didnt get them out and I dont remember having them out before. Yes, the sitting is the worst. We all imagine in these busy times that all we want or dream of is to sit on our bums, but the reality is mind numbing! My partner reminded me this morning that Im half way there - 2 weeks since cast, and 2 weeks to go. Take care of yourself.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete