Thursday, May 7, 2015

Positives Moving Forward

In the year I was waiting for my surgery, I did a lot of research. Im one of these people that likes to learn what is going on before I have it. I discovered Healthboards, where they have a "foot and ankle problem" forum. I post from time to time, and I have posted the following today - an update of sorts!

The Positives

Hi. I know that there are some people reading this that havent had surgery yet. I know I read lots in the year before my op.
Im now just over 11 weeks post op. I had a real sense of realisation the past few days.
I suppose the first is, that although I KNEW, it really hit me just how long the recovery is. And I did/do know it is anything up to 8 months - with the year marker really showing that its all worth it.
Saying all that, my friend collected me the other day to go for breakfast. We went to town. I had my boot on, with crutches. Now, I had to go to a few different shops - first time in town really - and some were at one end and others were at the other end - it struck me at the last shop, when I knew I had had enough, that the last time I had been in that particular shop was about 4 weeks ago - and I had only walked about 4 mins to it, and back again, and it had really exhausted me. I stood in that shop and realised how far I have actually come in those 4 weeks. Its very hard to see that, as its so so so slow, but it was a real lightbulb moment for me, and gave me a great boost.
Next, I cooked for my folks. I LOVE cooking, and although it was great that my partner was able to take over the cooking, I had missed it. I use kitchen chairs - to kneel on, so Im not standing. It did take a lot out of me, but again, the sense of achievement helped with the psychological side.
And, finally, today I took a shower standing up for the first time. I managed it just - ten mins - and then my foot started to ache. BUT again, its a move forward.
What I am trying to say is, that its important to log all these little pluses as well as the tough times - because there are plenty of those. Due to the fact that over the past few days I had really overdone it I did suffer, so made the decision to have a full rest day yesterday - apart from going down to get coffee and food!
Im now able to hobble to the bathroom barefoot on one crutch in the night. Im doing my physio, giving my foot a really good massage morning and night, and resting as well.
Oh, and one other thing, Im driving very short distances. Im finding that absolutely fine. My foot has enough good movement in it that its able. Oh the freedom.

So, again, I say, I do not regret having the surgery one little bit - Im 100% happy I had it done, and cannot wait to have the other one done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment