Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Ok, so Im going to write this now while Im "in the moment".... 
I am just back from having my cast removed. Taking into account it is a 2 hour drive there and back to the hospital, I have to say I am utterly exhausted. And in pain, and, well, yes, both of those things. 
On the upside, the surgeon (or should I say one of his surgical team, as he wasnt in today) said the xray looked great, and the wounds are healing brilliantly. I was really happy to hear this, as I kept having this sensation around the tibial tendon area that the wound was being rubbed - it wasnt. 
If you are waiting on this surgery, be prepared for when the cast comes off - its not a pretty sight!!! Hairy legs, dry skin, red tinges all over the foot... yes, I wont be entering a foot modelling competition any time soon. Also another good tip is to bring a long knee high sock with you to put on before you put the boot on. I am very proud of myself that I remembered!!! 

So, the boot. It does put your foot into a very different position, and this causes weird pains that you didnt or havent had for the past 6 weeks. I remember now that the foot DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE!!! It will fight, and the fight is vocalised with pain, so be prepared. 

Im home now, with the boot off, and the foot just lying there in its long sock. Im very nervous about moving it, and it is very sensitive. The doc said I can sleep without the boot, but funnily enough, Im quite nervous about the prospect tonight, so I will see later. 

Ive taken brufen and paracetamol. I was tempted to take a codipar earlier, but Im going to try and hold off. I really havent the energy to fight even a slight codeine withdrawal. 

So, going forward, I am back to outpatients in 6 weeks. I am PWB (partial weight bearing) until then - and have to go by pain levels as to how much to do. I do remember that part, and its all about not pushing past a certain pain level. I know from reading back from last surgery that it will probably take a few days for the foot to get used to having the boot on. So its a bit of patience from now. 





As you can see, the foot looks really good, and healing so well. Im delighted. It will take some soaking and exfoliating to get the dry skin off, but it will be nice in the process!!! 

I'll be back in a few days to report on how Im doing. 

Take care any fellow PTTD'ers!!! 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Clarissa. I have decided to try to wait for surgery till the end of next May. This way I will take my sick days through June and teachers are off July and Aug.Do you think that I would be able to go back to teaching in September? I wear a lace up ankle support now and really don't do much more than go to work and come home.I am so worried about all this.I hope you are doing well. Thank you for posting and responding, it helps to know that somebody has done this and survived LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Leslie. First of all, please dont be worrying. As you can see, Im on my second foot, and wouldnt have had it done if the first one hadnt been successful!! I think, if you can hang on it would be better. I reckon as long as you dont have to stand too much, you will definitely be able to return to work after the 3 months. It is really good that you can take that time out though, as, as you can imagine, its not easy, but it is worth it! Best of luck. x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Clarissa

    Thanks for your blog, it is really eye opening. I am now 5 weeks post op and cant wait to get the cast off. I am having withdrawal symptons from the pain meds and not sleeping well at night. I am also very frustrated right about almost everything but mainly the fact that I cant do things on my own.

    So tell me, at what stage were you able to drive again?

    How is the progress now on your side? I see that you are doing it for the second time and yhooo I dont think I'll ever do that. Thats just how I feel at the moment

    ReplyDelete