Monday, August 22, 2016

FRANKENFOOT PART 2

Wow!!! I cant believe that my last blog on here was July 2015. I guess life just keeps moving onwards and as I didnt have much to report, this blog went to the wayside. 

It is Monday the 22nd August 2016, and I am 19 days post op on my left foot. 
What did I have? 
- calcaneal osteotomy 
- cotton osteotomy
- tibial tendon transfer 
So, compared to the right foot, I had slightly less done. They didnt need to stretch the achilles tendon, nor did they do a bone graft for the cotton osteotomy, they used bone from the bone bank. This meant an easier recovery as the hip graft was a painful area for quite a while! I also didnt have a general anesthetic - they did a spinal block with heavy sedation... also did a nerve block, but more about that later. 

Now, so far, the differences? Well, post surgery, sadly the nerve block wore off too quickly which resulted in me having a HUGE amount of pain the night of the surgery and the next day, all of which resulted in the "pain nurse" having to basically sit with me for the day, and then pump morphine into me to get past the pain, to reign it back in (in the simplest of terms!). God I loved that man that day. He was an absolute angel, and was so attentive and caring. The day after was better, although I was really sick with the pain meds, so couldnt really eat anything. On the 3rd day, because they had decided the day before to give me laxatives because of slack bowels from opiates, I had severe gut pain for half the day, and I mean, akin to food poisoning pain, which amounted to me being toilet bound 6-8 times in one hour... not so easy on crutches, and trying to keep the foot elevated..... I discovered that they had more or less overdosed me on laxatives - and when you think I had eaten very little, it was no wonder my bowels reacted the way they did. They eventually gave me Immodium - ridiculous. 

I got home on Sunday - (surgery was done on Wed 3 Aug 2016), and went straight to my Mums like last time - Im actually still here as I write this - but due to go home tomorrow to my own house. Post surgery has been pretty much the same as the last time so far - apart from post GA (general anesthetic) grogginess, which I didnt have this time!! I definitely have been much "fresher" headed. Pain hasnt been great. Im acutely aware that I dont want my body to become dependent on pain meds - coedine specifically, as I used the surgery to come off Tramadol - having become physically dependent on that... ugh.... So, Ive worked out a way of weaning off the coedine - and hopefully so far it seems to be working. I aim to be only taking paracetamol and brufen by this time next week, with the odd coedine when I need it. 
I went back to Dublin on Wednesday last for the two week cast change - and it all went fine - very odd not to see the any of the consultants team this time - but the "plaster" nurses seemed happy enough with the surgical sites. 

So, here at day 19, all is going as it should. I have aches and pains in my hips, back and legs, because of having to stay in certain positions due to having to elevate the foot, but on the whole, all is manageable. I have my knee scooter again, and that is just brilliant - I recommend ANYONE having any type of foot/ankle surgery to invest in one, either to rent or buy - (you will make the money back no problem selling it on!). 
Ive been doing some "bed yoga" which I found on Youtube - worth doing for the stiffness. 

JUST A LITTLE ASIDE - HOW IS FOOT NUMBER 1 TODAY - 18 MONTHS POST OP?? 

Well, how many times am I asked this question?? Its not as easy a question to answer as it seems. Since I got back on my feet, after the first surgery, I havent been able to "test" it as much as I would like because of the left foot being so bad. I know I have had to compensate a lot because of the left foot, and waiting 17 months for surgery on that one definitely hasnt helped the recovery of the first foot - in my humble opinion. So, in all honesty, its not perfect - I would say it is about 80%, which, in the grand scheme of things is fabulous when you think about it!!! I really dont think its ever going to be 100% right. It has pronated again, but the whole foot hasnt pulled over - I just dont have a perfect little arch, which is disappointing, but the difference is, I know I will be able to wear a shoe with a bit of heel if I need to without crying at how horrible it looks, nay, not being able to full stop!!! 
My ULTIMATE goal with both feet is just to be able to walk again for pleasure without extreme pain. I know realistically this means this time next year - so that is the goal - walk on the beach for pure and utter pleasure. Walk through the forest with my dogs, just for me time... not too much to ask is it?? 

I will check in again after the cast comes off. There really isnt much to say in the next 4 weeks! Its just patience, patience and more patience!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment